My Muskoka

 After a visit to Canada, I was really taken by the popularity and design of the Muskoka chairs that seemed to be everywhere. I figured that it couldn't be that hard...right?

So I decided to knock up my own design using my 3D skills... looked nice, so then I decided that I wanted to make it out of upcycled wood - that took forever to amass, and totally messed up all my tidy 3D model dimensions with the variety of thicknesses.



Unfortunately, I almost missed that tiny little detail but caught it in time and made some changes on the fly.....and for some unknown reason, as this wasn't challenging enough already, I decided to make it without screws or nails.....then I added complexity by deciding to make my own dowels.

It is no wonder I am gray haired.

Oh, and then I added a footstool that would store in the rear of the chair when not needed...



I was close to putting it all together when we went into lockdown, but I managed to snatch a few moments here and there to get it done..



It caused quite a stir among my colleagues, to the point where one made me some beautiful hand-felted cushions for it.


The final upcycled ingredients for the chair were scaffolding board, pallets, an old school shelf and cedar window frame for the dowels. Even the cushion pads were taken from an end of life waiting room chair.
Gloriously comfortable, I am already on a second version which will be something even more special.... and over complicated no doubt.

Comments