The Null Shard - Part 3

After adding more detail to the engraving by hand, I went for it and popped it all together for a silicone mould. Only to face several more challenges.. mainly surrounding one simple issue
TOO MUCH DETAIL!
Allow me to explain - this was a kind of cascade failure situation. The level of detail in the engraving had meant that I needed a thicker piece of acrylic to laser (I'll just sand that back, right?) but this in turn would wreak havoc on the pyramid frame. The detail was so fine that it just attracted and clung to the minute bubbles in the silicone (regrettably this is easily overcome with degassing and pressure casting - of which I have access to neither) and the cast was not as perfect as I had hoped. There were also issues with my resin attacking the mould after some dodgy environmental conditions when I cast the first run, and I lost chunks of detail.
Back to the drawing board on that phase.
So... I dumped the pyramid edging and 3D modelled a pyramid skeleton instead, that way I only had to cast out the detail sections and drop them in - genius! It also allowed me to beef up the pyramid edging to allow for the thicker plates.
There was plenty of prototyping at this stage to get the pyramid dimensions and proportions just right - these were put to good use in my flower beds to deter the local wildlife from their toileting habits. For this I used FDM 3D printing, although the final piece would be a Laser Sintered 3D print.

My second mould came out better - still bubble niggles, but passable and I worked on the bases. I couldn't decide which I liked more, so printed both.

Comments

  1. Very nice build, this is stunning work! It looks so realistic.
    I stumbled upon your blog post while searching the net for a .stl file of the Null Shard because I wanted to 3D print one for my shelf.
    You wouldn't happen to have a simplified .stl of the whole model you'd be willing to share?
    Dom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hy dominikus i have design a 3D model of the null shard if you are intersted replied me or send me a message

      Delete
    2. Not sure if you will see this, but I would love the 3D model of the null shard if you are still willing to share it.

      Delete
    3. yes i can send it to you i just need your email to do it

      Delete
    4. Doug, I guess you are the person who found me on DA. You lot will have to send me pictures of your finished shards, I'd love to see them all.

      Delete
  2. Hi, sorry for being slow to reply. I don't have an stl for the key as it was a mish-mash of 2d and 3d, laser cutting, 3d printing, hand work and casting.
    I will try and dredge up the file for the base for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice of you, thank you very much!
      If you want I can send you the 3D file of the pyramid. I tried to fit everything on one model.

      Delete
    2. if you can send me the file this is my mail adress : thelbg69@gmail.com thanks you so much ;)

      Delete
    3. Ok, keep an eye out, here it comes....

      Delete
    4. ogel, If you can send me your 3d file of the Null Shard. forbiddenzoneinfo@gmail Thanks

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment