The Null Shard - Part 2

So, with CAD in hand, I switched over to 3D modelling - I had already planned for the engraved section to be laser-etched, while structural parts to be 3D printed where possible. Using the one set of lines would ensure all these would (in theory) fit together for moulding.
I was already overcoming numerous issues - mainly with my computer's ability to process so many lines, but gradually it came together at a slower rate than I was pulling my hair out.
I then faced the dilemma of design vs. limits of technology. This has founded a deep and unwavering respect within me for those who posess the skill to engrave by hand, because the laser said "no" and could not cope with the level of detail within the pattern..(woe is me and all those hours of CAD migraines). I was forced to simplify it 3 times before I achieved something that was not a molten mess, hoping to add the extra detail by hand later.
Et voila!
Thankfully the ultra-detailed UV resin 3D printing came out nicely and it all seemed to be going well, fitting together and the like.

 My plan had been to cast out a single panel with the angled edges and build the pyramid that way. But why would that go according to plan?


Comments